Sunday, June 22, 2008

 

Sleep over

I went to the MACAC a little after noon on Saturday. I saw something on the neighbors driveway as I came home. Then I saw Sharon watering our neighbors flowers, they are gone to Colombia for a couple of weeks. As I got out of the car, Joelle came running yelling "Poppy". It was Joelle's overnight bag and a swim noddle I had spotted on the driveway After I greeted Joelle and Sharon, I told Sharon I would hook up a water hose so she didn't have to water using a one gallon water pail. They went into the house, it was hot. I hooked up the water hose and water for about 15 minutes before going into the house. Joelle's bag was in the entryway. Joelle was "sleeping over" for the first time in a long while. She seemed so excited which I didn't fully understand, it is not unusual for Joelle to be over at our house, but I guess she doesn't spend the night anymore like she used to.

As I said, her bag was in the entry and she was busy taking one item at a time to the back. I asked her where she wanted to sleep. Her "room" is closed much of the time to keep the cats out so I have shut the air conditioner vent. She informed me that she was sleeping in the big bed with Nana. That was cool because now I didn't have to get a ladder to open the vent in "Joelle's Room". Dinner was the usual, Luby's with Joelle getting her usual fare. I told her that we were going to let her rent a movie since she has been intrigued by the movie rentals from a vending machine at McDonalds. We went to Krogers in the outskirts of a thunder shower. Third time this week we have just missed a good rain by a couple of miles. I got the movie vending machine started, looking longingly at the advertised movies "3:10 to Yuma" and "Rendition", I selected "Childrens" as the category of movies to rent. It didn't take long. Joelle spotted "Barbie, Mariposa". I couldn't wait.

We turned on the TV when we got home. I noticed the Olympic women gymnastics was on. Joelle decided she wanted to watch that Saturday evening and watch the Barbie movie as she ate break feast Sunday morning. She showed me the "Hello Kitty" waffle maker on the kitchen cabinet. So, We watched gymnastics. Sharon was going to bake a batch of cookies as a special treat for Joelle. I don't know why Sharon couldn't ready the package, but I heard her ask Joelle to read her the instructions. My 40 years plus wife was asking my five year old granddaughter to read her the baking instructions! I heard Joelle say, "1. Separate 2. Bake 3. Enjoy." I went into the kitchen laughing. However, those were exactly the instructions on the package. I found, in very small print the oven temperature and baking length instructions. Joelle started getting ready for bed about 8:30, Nana too. I, of course, stayed up front to watch TV. Joelle gave me a good night kiss and reminded me NOT to make noise and wake them up. I agreed not to.

I was watching TV, when at about 9:30, I heard giggling and laughter coming from the back bedroom. It sounded like a couple of teenage girls having a slumber party, not Joelle and Nana. They were both asleep by 10:00.

I awoke at my usual time on Sunday, the crack of noon. The girls had eaten their waffles and were ready to go to our pool. The pool wasn't crowded so we had plenty of room to splash. Joelle had a Disney Princess doll, a boggie board and a noodle. She would kick back and forth using either the noodle board or the boggie board while telling me to teach the doll to swim. Joelle could really make a lot of progress kicking and she could usually touch the bottom. She also would jump into the pool just a few inches from me so I could catch her, but again, she could touch the bottom. We were at the pool about an hour before it was time to go. Sharon got a call from Petie telling us that Lisie wanted Joelle so we packed up and left. Lisie really did want Joelle. Sharon and stayed for just a couple of minutes before leaving, Lisie and Joelle having their usual romp around the house.

That's life in the fast lane! However, I think I can speak for Sharon, Joelle and Myself, a good time was had by all!

Comments:
Cute story. Reminds me of my own sleep overs with my abuelita (grandma), and makes me jealous that Joaquin doesn't have his grandparents close.
 
Dad - it's Colombia. I thought you would have known after all those checks on the State Dept. website.
 
Thought it was named after Columbis. When was the last time you knew me to type a sentence without a typo or misspelling?
 
Wow, not a comment on Columbis?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?